Paris law bans trousers for women?

>> Thursday, November 19, 2009

A 200 year old law that bans women from wearing trousers in Paris? That is crazy talk!

I think this has unfortunately ignited my feminist streak, you know equal gender rights, women-can-have-babies-and-work-too, and all that jazz. But what makes it more crazy for me is that it's Paris, the fashion capital of the world, home of haute couture and chic. Labels such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Chloe, Balmain, and Givenchy were born in Paris, but what for when you couldn't fully embrace fine fashion to it's highest accord and wear a stupid pair of pants?
I would love to know what the consequence of wearing pants would have been 60 years ago, for I am sure I would be a repeat offender (the rebellious streak). In the many articles I have read on the topic, it was known that you had to seek permission from the police station if you wanted to wear pants, although permission would be wavered if you were at "the reigns of a horse". I don't know about you, but if I lived in Paris in 2009 my 'horse' may have wheels...four in fact. So would I still be allowed to wear pants?
Unlikely it seems that the law will change anytime soon, even with a letter by her 'royal' self Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. However, Parisian women are undeterred by this ancient ruling looming over their heads and are clearly sporting freedom and choice in what they wear. And I would hope so, it's the year 2009 and even Muslim women in more liberal Middle Eastern countries (like UAE, Qatar & Bahrain) are given a choice to wear a burka or not.
I guess the French like their women one way: slim and eternally molded into 1920s chic that sits just below the knees.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Copyright
© 2009 by 'things that thrill my heart...'
The logo and all written and personal material published on this blog is copyrighted. Photos and ideas should link to their origin (if it's not from my own brain) if not stated. If you desire to use or publish any personal material (including Polyvore sets) - please ask me!

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP